Diamond Light source B18 BAG
Block Allocation Group (BAG) Programme Mode Application to Diamond Light Source:
The proposal is made on behalf of the UK Catalysis Hub network and intends to provide members with frequent and flexible access to B18, the core XAFS beamline. We have actively embraced new users and new areas of catalysis, assigning time across a broad range of catalytic science (homogenous catalysis, heterogeneous catalysis, biocatalysis, and electrocatalysis). To date we have supported the research efforts of > 20 research teams from > 10 institutions.
The BAG allocation prioritieses access based on
(i) the quality of the underpinning science,
(ii) the likely success of the experiments,
(iii) bringing in new users of synchrotron radiation, and
(iv) coordinating time effectively to maximise efficiency.
This level of access improves the efficiency of data acquisition by the coordination of projects to reduce the dead time of experimental set-up and by allocating small amounts of time for proof of concept investigations before a full study is commenced.
The BAG allocation time is assigned by an executive panel comprising of:
- representation from Diamond;
- Prof. Richard Catlow;
- Dr. Peter Wells;
- representation from two other institutions (changed on a rolling basis).
It is important to note that that for heavy users of synchrotron facilities this method of access will only play a small contribution to the amount of time they require. Their role within the BAG proposal is to provide the interface between the inexperienced members and Diamond, enabling a larger cross section of the UK Catalysis Hub network to benefit from the techniques available. These users may receive small amounts of flexible access, where required, to assist in finishing research projects and hasten subsequent publications.
BAG so far
As of October 2015 a total of 39 days (excluding reassigned days) have been received. In the 36 months since the 1st beamtime, this has resulted in 16 published articles, with more currently under review. The accepted articles have included publications in high impact journals including JACS, Chemistry of Materials, ACS Catalysis and Chemical Science.
(1) C. S. Hinde, D. Ansovini, P. P. Wells, G. Collins, S. Van Aswegen,, J. D. Holmes, T. S. A. Hor, R. Raja, Elucidating Structure-Property Relationships of Extruded Metal Nanoparticles for Sustainable Aerobic Oxidations, ACS Catalysis, DOI: 10.1021/acscatal.5b00754
(2) Hammond, Ceri; Padovan, Daniele; Al-Nayili, Abbas; Wells, Peter; Gibson, Emma; Dimitratos, Nikolaos, Spectroscopic identification of active and spectator sites in Sn-β prepared by solid-state ion-exchange, and conse-quences for Lewis acid catalysis, ChemCatChem, DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201500545
(3) Iqbal, Sarwat; Kondrat, Simon; Jones, Daniel; Schoenmakers, Daniël; Edwards, Jennifer; Lu, Li; Yeo, Benjamin; Wells, Peter; Gibson, Emma; Morgan, David; Kiely, Christopher; Hutchings, Graham; Ruthenium nanoparticles supported on carbon - an active catalyst for the hydrogenation of lactic acid to 1,2-propanediol, ACS catalysis, DOI: 10.1021/acscatal.5b00625
(4) Brookes, Catherine; Wells, Peter; Gibson, Emma; Gianolio, Diego; Mohammed, Khaled; Parry, Stephen; Rogers, Scott; Silverwood, Ian; Bowker, Michael, In situ spectroscopic investigations of MoOx/Fe2O3 catalysts for the selective oxidation of methanol, Catalysis Science and Technology, DOI: 10.1039/C5CY01175B
(5) Christopher S. Hinde · Arran M. Gill · Peter P. Wells · T. S. Andy Hor · Robert Raja; Utilizing Benign Oxidants for Selective Aerobic Oxidations Using Heterogenized Platinum Nanoparticle Catalysts, ChemPlusChem, DOI: 10.1002/cplu.201500195
(6) Emma K. Gibson · Andrew M. Beale · C. Richard A. Catlow · Arunabhiram Chutia · Diego Gianolio · Anna Gould · Anna Kroner · Khaled M. H. Mohammed · Michal Perdjon · Scott M. Rogers · Peter P. Wells; Restructuring of AuPd nanoparticles studied by a combined XAFS/DRIFTS approach, Chem. Mater, DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b00866
(7) Scott M. Rogers · C. Richard A. Catlow · Carine E. Chan-Thaw · Diego Gianolio · Emma K. Gibson · Anna L. Gould · Nan Jian · Andrew J. Logsdail · Richard E. Palmer · Laura Prati · Nikolaos Dimitratos · Alberto Villa · Peter P. Wells;Tailoring Gold Nanoparticle Characteristics and the Impact on Aqueous-Phase Oxidation of Glycerol, ACS Catalysis, DOI:10.1021/acscatal.5b00754
(8) Andrew Beale et al., Development and characterisation of thermally stable supported V-W-TiO2 catalysts for mobile NH3-SCR applications, Catalysis, Structure and Reactivity, http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/2055075814Y.0000000005
(9) Jean-Charles Buffet, Nidwaree Wanna, Thomas Arnold, Emma Gibson, Peter Wells, Q Wang, Jonggol Tantirungrotechai, and Dermot O'Hare, Highly tuneable catalyst supports for single-site ethylene polymerization, Chemistry of Materials, 2015, 27 (5), pp 1495–1501
(10) Grant J. Sherborne,Michael R. Chapman, John Blacker† Richard A. Bourne,Thomas W. Chamberlain, Benjamin D. Crossley, Stephanie J. Lucas, Patrick C. McGowan, Mark A. Newton, Thomas E. O Screen, Paul Thompson, Charlotte E. Willans,and Bao N. Nguyen, Activation and Deactivation of a Robust Immobilized Cp*Ir-TransferHydrogenation Catalyst: A Multielement in Situ X‑ray Absorption,Spectroscopy Study, JACS, DOI.10.1021/ja512868a
(11) Brown, Neil; Garcia-Trenco, Andres; Weiner, Jonathan; White, Edward; Allinson, Matthew; Chen, Yuxin; Wells, Peter; Gibson, Emma; Hellgardt, Klaus; Shaffer, Milo; Williams, Charlotte, From Organometallic Zinc and Copper Complexes to Highly Active Colloidal Catalysts for the Conversion of CO2 to Methanol, DOI:10.1021/cs502038y
(12) C. Brookes, P. P. Wells, N. Dimitratos, G. Cibin, D. J. Morgan, W. Jones, M. Bowker, Molybdenum oxide on Fe2O3 core-shell catalysts; probing the nature of the structural motifs responsible for methanol oxidation catalysts, ACS Catalysis 2014, 4, 243-250.
(13) M. M. Forde, R Armstrong, R. McVicker, P. P. Wells, N. Dimitratos, Q. He, L. Lu, R. L. Jenkins, C. Hammond, J. A. Lopez-Sanchez, C. J. Kiely and G. J. Hutchings, Methane oxidation using catalysts prepared by chemical vapour impregnation: tuning alcohol selectivity through catalyst pre-treatment, Chemical Science, 2014, 5, 3603-3616
(14) C. Brookes, P. P. Wells, N. Dimitratos, G. Cibin, D. J. Morgan, W. Jones, C. Nicklin, D. Mora-Fonz, D. Scanlon, C.R.A. Catlow, M. Bowker, The Nature of the Molybdenum Surface in Iron Molybdate; the Active Phase in Selective Methanol Oxidation, J. Phys. Chem. C, DOI:10.1021/jp5081753
(15) Davinder S. Bhachu, Sanjayan Sathasivam, Gopinathan Sanka, David O. Scanlon, Giannantonio Cibin, Claire J. Carmalt, Ivan P. Parkin, Graeme W. Watson, Salem M. Bawaked, Abdullah Y. Obaid, Shaeel Al-Thabaiti, and Sulaiman N. Basahel; Solution Processing Route to Multifunctional Titania Thin Films: Highly Conductive and Photocatalytically Active Nb:TiO2, Advanced Functional Materials, 2014, 24, 5075-5085
(16) Wilm Jones, Ren Su, Peter P. Wells, Yanbin Shen, Nikolaos Dimitratos, Mike Bowker, David Morgan, Bo B. Iversen, Arunabhiram Chutia,Flemming Besenbacher, and Graham Hutchings, Optimised Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production Using Core-Shell AuPd Promoters with Controlled Shell Thickness, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014,16, 26638-26644